Monday, January 24, 2011

YUM Soft Granola

I love granola, so much that I forget sometimes how much. Awhile without granola will go by and then  realize how much I've missed it. This recipe has been a fav for a few years since I googled for a how-to on granola.  I've tweaked the orignial recipe so many times, that I've given it a new name & description.




FYI - This recipe is really tweaky - you can change it up depending on what you have (like today I left out some thngs I was missing and it was still delish. By that I'm meaning the dry ingredients though. You do need all of the wet ones ;)

YUM Soft Granola
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2  cups puffed rice cereal
(sometimes I also add  1 1/2 cups puffed wheat, if I have it, and I don't add any add'l ingredients)
1/2 cup flax seed (or wheat germ or both)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup agave nectar (though you can use corn syrup, I just never have)
3/4 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 cup vegetable oil (though I'm thinking this can be cut back to 1/3 cup)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped or slivered almonds or pecans

Line 9x9 pan with tin foil (though I don't know how necessary this is). In my house, it never lasts too long. I guess it just helps with clean up.
In large bowl combine dry ingredients (oats, puffed cereal, nuts, flax seed, coconut, cranberries). In small saucepan combine agave nectar, brown sugar, and vegetable oil. Bring to a boil, whisking to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and sitr in vanilla and salt. Pour over dry ingredients and stir until evenly coated.
It should look like unbaked granola. Pour mixture into prepared pan and press down into an even layer. I like to eat it warm, but it is supposed to be able to be cut into bars when cooled. I don't know why, but that's never worked out for me.
It just crumbles. I wonder it if would be good to bake it at this point but the original recipe didn't say to and I never have. So, we eat it soft, by the bowl. Over yogurt is yummy too. I have to pace myself or I'll way over eat and be super stuffed.
It's that good. 




No comments:

Post a Comment